The people that live in our communities are at the heart of everything we do at Aria Care, and following the principles of person-centred care ensures they can live well and enjoy a lifestyle that suits them. There are several core principles of person-centred care and by following them, we can provide benefits to every single person living in our homes.
What is person-centred care?
Person-centred care is an approach that puts the individual at the centre of all decisions about their care.
It incorporates both the professional knowledge of carers and medical staff, as well as the individual’s feelings, lifestyle, and personal preferences. The care plan is tailored to the individual’s needs and delivered in a manner that they are comfortable with.
What does person-centred care involve?
There are four principles of person-centred care which have been identified by The Health Foundation. Every member of the team keeps these principles in mind when providing care for our residents, to ensure they get the best care and support possible.
- Treating residents with dignity, compassion and respect.
This is core to everything we do at Aria Care. Every resident gets treated with kindness and afforded the respect they deserve.
- Offering coordinated care and support
We believe that the best way to care for our residents is by ensuring everyone is aligned, from the carers to the residents themselves. Using the residents’ care plan as a guideline, we ensure that everyone is coordinated and that the same high level of care is consistently delivered.
- Personalised care and support
We put the resident at the centre of everything we do, which gives them the opportunity to take some ownership over the care they receive. We accommodate their preferences where possible, and help them work towards any goals they might have. No two residents are the same, so we offer this same opportunity for bespoke care to every resident that joins us.
- Enabling independent and fulfilling lives
We encourage every resident to lead the lifestyle they want, and person-centred care keeps them at the heart of all the decisions related to their care so they always feel in control of their own lives.
What are the benefits of person-centred care?
There are numerous benefits associated with this approach to care, which is why it’s a core aspect of any stay at an Aria Care community. Some of the key benefits include:
- When residents play a more active role in managing their care and support, they feel more motivated and connected the the care they’re receiving.
- As well as meeting their medical needs, person-centred care also helps meet their personal and social needs. This can have a positive effect on their outlook and quality of life.
- The improved quality of care associated with person-centred care can make it easier for the resident to enjoy life and the lifestyle they want to.
As you can see, person-centred care is incredibly important at Aria Care, and it plays a key part in everything we do. Find out more about the types of care on offer, or start your search for a new home today.